renareads

Rena Reads

A place to express how the books I've read have influenced, disturbed or enhanced my life. Literature with a little lesbian love sprinkled here and there. Pronounced /ree-nay/

Abandoned Property
Designed by Pat Rasch, Shonell Bacon (Editor), Kai Mann
The Difference Between You and Me - Madeleine George The Difference Between You and Me reminded me of Rita Mae Brown's In Her Day. In that book, the female lovers Isle and Carole argued about feminism instead of getting it on. In my 2-star review on Amazon.com I said:

"Together the two argue women's ideologies. That's about it. Add a cast of quirky-but-lackluster characters and you've got a novel doesn't amount to much. There was just too much opinion and not enough emotion...I labored through it far longer than I should."

That almost sums up what I feel about The Difference Between Me and You. Though the issue the Jesse and Emily fight about is dissimilar - about a Wal-Mart-esque store coming to their small town - the emotions were just as flat at times. Grassroots Jesse cares too much for the self-centered, polished Emily (whom I hate as a character), who won't even acknowledge that she exists. Ever. The way Jesse is treated by Emily makes me want to slap the taste out of Emily's mouth. She really boiled my blood.

I digress. Between the poor treatment of Jesse (btw, I think it would have been better to have her chapters in first-person, instead of third) and Emily's bitchiness, it was just okay.

2.5 stars